WordPress.com & Squarespace
I have chosen to work only with WordPress.com (as opposed to self-hosting WordPress software) and squarespace.com websites. This is because I like the ease, security and peace of mind that this affords for both my clients and myself. I don’t have to worry that any plug-ins installed may be compromised and allow a hacking attack.
I therefore do not create from scratch any templates (layout and design) but instead use the templates already written by WordPress.com and Squarespace’s professional designers but I am able to action any styling requests using CSS (computer code for styling). In this way, my clients get websites with professionally designed templates without a hefty fee and can swap to another template at any time with the press of a button.
All software updates are done automatically by WordPress.com and Squarespace; so as well as my clients’ websites being safe and robust, it is a very cost efficient way of having a website/WordPress website. I usually only work with small enterprises and organizations and either WordPress.com or Squarespace cover all their needs.
There are many advantages of having such a website:
- Very reasonable fees from £3 per month which include hosting, upgrades to software and backups.
- Easy to upload content and maintain yourself through the provider’s dashboard– an online ‘portal’ in which you access your account and create and update content without having to know any HTML or other web code. You don’t have to ask your web designer every time you want to make a small change to your website.
- Can have standard webpages such as a Home, Contact, Services or About page as well as comprehensive blogging functionality.
- Can have own specific business web address (URL) .
- WordPress especially provides good search engine optimization (SEO) right out of the box.
- You don’t have to worry about internet security, ensuring your site displays well across all web browsers and devices, backing up your web pages or future proofing your site for devices or web browsers not yet developed.
There are a few limitations:
- Limited functionality – you can only implement on your site features and functions that have already been integrated with the WordPress.com and Squarespace platforms.
- No in-built email facility.
- Completely reliant on WordPress.com and Squarespace for everything now and in the future. Bear in mind that although you may be happy with the service today, further down the line, they could implement/alter something without your authorization that is unacceptable to you and you will have to live with it.
Changing to a self-hosted WordPress website at a later date
Your WordPress.com website can be exported to the self-hosted WordPress.org, so it’s not the end of the world if you start with WordPress.com and wish to move over to a self-hosted WordPress site in the future – and vice versa.
Third party integrations
WordPress.com and Squarespace integrate with Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Google calendar and many other platforms.
I will ask you to create the relevant online accounts, with my assistance if required, to ensure that you will have ownership and complete control at all times, of all aspects of your website.
My payment terms are a deposit of 1/3 of Pale September fee agreed in quote is due before work begins. A final 2/3 payment (adjusted again for changes in estimate if necessary) is due upon completion of site as specified, before site is published on the Internet.